An introduction to the Institute
A brief history
Mongolia started organizing professional development courses for medical specialists who graduated from medical secondary school in 1934, which marked the beginning of professional development training for the health care sector. The institute was established under the Faculty of Medicine as a professional development branch in 1953, and has now expanded to become the Postgraduate Institute since 2001.
Even though the institute has undergone changes in its name, structure, and management over the years due to societal needs and management activities, it has continued to successfully fulfill its role of providing medical professionals with postgraduate medical education, such as residency and subspecialty training, that assists in acquiring the skills and knowledge required.
The Postgraduate Institute organizes residency training in 29 fields, subspecialty training of specialists in more than 120 fields, nursing and other medical professional training in 39 fields, as well as advanced and credit course training according to the needs. The institute operates to expand its activities with added teams of management division, specialized teachers, training coordinators, university e-learning, and remote diagnosis.
The core values of the institute include:
- The ethics of medical professionals
- A team of specialized teachers
- Flexible program with regular assessments
- Cooperation and mutual respect
The mission of the Professional Development Institute is:
To implement a combination of postgraduate training, research, and services in the field of medicine, to train doctors, nurses, and medical professionals with high professional knowledge, skills, and attitudes that meet the needs and requirements of social and health care services, who are aware of the civil culture and to ensure their sustained development as professionals.
Areas of activity:
- Constituent schools, specialty departments, and affiliated hospitals of MNUMS cooperate to determine the policy of post-graduate education, to evaluate the execution of the educational process in accordance with its program contents, to ensure the quality of education, and to further develop its main activities in an international trend. Conducting research in the fields of post-graduate training, organizing the training with international standards, and applying potential outcomes are also intended.
- In post-graduate training, our policy lies in creating a team of teachers with high knowledge, skills, and attitudes, as well as raising their requirements for knowledge and professional skills with sustained development, to improve their responsibilities and personnel capacity to uphold the ethics and dignity of a teacher. Within the frame of this work, a team of post-graduate training teachers is carefully selected and formed from the pool of doctors, nurses, and medical professionals who qualify as possible teacher candidates at constituent schools, departments, and affiliated hospitals of MNUMS, and provide them with management and methodology to increase their leadership as university teachers.
- Administer a policy of implementing post-graduate nursing training based on the societal needs in the clinical field while strengthening the capacity of teaching staff resources to expand the scope of training.
- Creating an environment for medical professionals to learn in their workplace or in cyber, developing human resources in the field of e-medicine, conducting research and creating a test database, regularly updating and improving the programs used in training, legal regulation of doctors who provide remote diagnosis and consultation to clients, creating a disease database using remote diagnosis and running services based on hospitals in all provinces and Ulaanbaatar.
- Within the framework of cooperation, signing agreements with medical institutions, health centers, and other biomedical and public health organizations with the expectation of providing mutual support and development together, and broadening foreign relations, implementing projects and programs, as well as expanding base hospitals and clinics of post-graduate training with the provision of management and methodology. Instead of competing with authorized educational institutions, cooperation will be encouraged to fill shortages of staff and to create training bases and environments together.
- With the intention of increasing the social responsibility of the university, initiating and organizing humanitarian charity work and community-oriented training and advertising will be organized to develop students as “global” citizens with compassion.
- As an academic unit that organizes post-graduate medical education courses in Mongolia, we aspire to introduce new methods of technology, teaching, and evaluation to improve the quality of education in accordance with the needs of today’s society based on domestic and foreign medical education by engaging thousands of medical professionals and specialists in sustained training.
Photograph of the staff
- Director: Bayasgalan T.
- Supervisors: Enkhtuya D., Alimaa G., Tumennast M., Enkhdavaa D.
- Address: Room No 322 of MNUMS
- Phone: 77757575-1027
- email: email@example.com
- fb page: https://www.facebook.com/PostgraduateTrainingInstitute/